Science shows a good night’s sleep is essential to boost physical and mental performance.
Most people know that proper health and nutrition is vital for a long, healthy life. But, in spite of this awareness most humans are strung out, and sleep-deprived. Drew’s good friend, Sean Stevenson is breaking the pattern and spreading the word about the importance of sleep in his internationally bestselling book, Sleep Smarter. During this episode, the Host of the top health and fitness podcast, The Model Health Show shares his tips and techniques for allowing the body to get the rest it needs. The right amount of sleep allows muscles to recover after a workout, increases mental cognition, and reduces the risk of disease.
[9:35] Shawn knew he was meant for something special and meditation allowed him to step into it.
[19:29] Why kids need strong role models and to have something to aspire to.
[22:50] The cool sciency stuff Shawn wonders why more people aren’t talking about.
[31:46] The science of sleep and melatonin resistance.
[39:00] How Shawn manages stress and stays motivated as a successful entrepreneur.
[45:58] Shawn finds fulfillment in his life through growth.
- Complete Wellness Supplements — Shop for Drew’s Hand-formulated Powdered Greens, Probiotics, and now Keto Boost with Cordyceps and Beet Root Powder
- Dry Farm Wines — Use this link for a bottle of wine for $.01 with any order
Mentioned in This Episode:
- The Model Health Show
- Sleep Smarter, by Shawn Stevenson
- @ShawnModel on Twitter
- Watch this episode of Fit2Fat2Fit on Youtube
- Fit2Fat2Fit on A&E
- Fit2Fat2Fit on Facebook
- Fit2Fat2Fit Book
- Drew on Social Media: @fit2fat2fit
- Email Drew: [email protected]
What We Learned
- Shawn began to work through issues he had with attention, need and love by beginning to practice meditation. His mother in law was the one who introduced him to it. He credits it with helping him get through memories and scars from his childhood. He changed tremendously after that.
- Shawn grew up in a very tough environment where there as a lot of uncertainty, violence, drugs and alcohol. He promised himself he would never be like that or live like that. He knew he was going to do something great and he committed to keep growing and working on himself to prepare for it.
- Shawn believes that everyone has an evolution and their transformation isn’t because of the person they are right now, it’s their earlier person. It’s their self and the moment they said, “I am done.” Or, “I’m going to change.” Wherever you are right now, the progress you have made is because of an earlier version of yourself.
- There are two very important things that you need for a good night’s sleep. One, you need a biological night and two, you need a cyclical dark cycle and it needs to be consistent. Shift work is one of the worst things a person can do for their health.
- Melatonin levels are very important for not only sleep, but your overall health as well. However, people who use too much Melatonin and use it on a consistent basis, they have a deactivation of their receptor site for Melatonin. Their body still produces it, but the cells that actually did the job and the turning on of the process started to shut down.
- ‘Chunking’ is a very specific way you can focus on our tasks at hand and get things done in a timely manner. Devote a ‘chunk’ of time to a very specific task. Don’t go between two or three different things. Focus on one task, execute on that and then move on to the next thing.
How to Take Action
- Try to incorporate cold therapy into your life. Take cold showers, ice baths, cryotherapy, even just going out into the cold weather. These have been shown to be very effective and help to increase brown adipose tissue.
- Be careful about trying to fix your sleep problems by supplementing Melatonin. Taking too much of it on a consistent bases can do more harm than good.
- For a good night’s sleep, you need two things. One is a biological night and two is you need a cyclical dark cycle. To create your own dark cycle, buy blackout curtains or even use aluminum foil if you have to in order to cover your windows. Your room should be so dark that you can barely see your hand.
- Learn the importance of chunking. Certain days are designated for certain things. Dedicate a certain amount of time and focus each day to a very specific thing. Execute on that and then move on to the next thing. The problem with why we feel like we can’t get work done is because we move back and forth from one task to the next without completing one.