So many people have asked me what alternatives there are to traditional dairy, so I thought I would put together a list that includes as many dairy-free alternatives as possible.
Here we go!
For Milk (choose the unsweetened versions)
- Almond milk
- Brazil nut milk
- Coconut milk
- Macadamia nut milk
- Hazelnut milk
- Hemp milk
- Try nut cheeses such as cashew, brazil nut, and macadamia. Artisanal Treeline cheese is a cashew based dairy-free cheese that tastes FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC!!!
- Nutritional yeast for cheddar or parmesan cheese.
- Daiya is a tapioca and arrowroot flour based cheese that is a hit or sometimes, miss. If you’re tracking your macros, make sure to read the label so you’re aware of how many carbs are in a serving.
- Hemp based cheeses. You can find many recipes that use hemp seeds to create “cheese”.
Lard and butter alternatives
- Unrefined coconut oil
- Olive oil
- Avocado Oil
- Choose dark chocolate over milk chocolate. For snacking, try dark chocolate with at least 50% cocoa.
- Instead of cream or milk in your coffee, use full-fat coconut milk, So Delicious creamer or nutpods dairy-free Creamer
- Coconut milk kefir instead of dairy based kefir
- Sour cream: refrigerate a full can of coconut milk for an hour or two. Open can and scoop out the hardened coconut cream on the top. Mix coconut cream and 1-2 tbsp. lemon juice or apple cider vinegar, and 1/8tsp salt. Return to refrigerator for an hour. Serve.
- For Buttermilk: combine one cup non-dairy milk and one tablespoon vinegar
Did we miss one of your favorites? Tell us in the comments below!